"Take love, multiply it by infinity and take it to the depths of forever...

... and you still have only a glimpse of how I feel for you."



- Meet Joe Black


Monday, October 31, 2011

You've Taught Me...

Dear Daughter


In my teen years working as an ECE I learned a lot from children, as I hope they have learned from me too. I think that is part of nature's plan. Sometimes the best lessons are taught by the ones who don't think they know all the answers, but do know how to live life simply and fully. I also think that we never stop learning. Everyday we see and do new things, and those experiences change us. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. But always evolving, and because of that opportunity, the possibilities are endless.


Since becoming your Mama, my knowledge has doubled if not tripled. Iv learned things big and small. Like if you wake up in the middle of the night, my off-tune singing puts you right back to sleep. Or, when changing your diaper...I should always give you something to play with. Otherwise you try to practice the art of Poop Painting.


Here are just a few more things you have taught me, and that I will always cherish...


Always Make Time- Life can get hectic. Think about all you have to do. Daily, Weekly and Monthly. You have work, drop ins, and Dr's appointments.Grocery shopping, playdates and laundry. Cooking, playtimes and even more laundry. But amidst all this, theres you, my Sweet Baby Girl. When I'm old and grey, and I am at St. Peters Gates...I don't want to look back with woulda-shoulda-coulda's. I want to look back and my life and know that I lived, laughed and loved. You have taught me to take an extra minute of story time at night, more cuddles in the morning, and be so thankful for each and every moment I have with you.


Asking For Help is a Strength, Not A Weakness- When I was a teenager, I think somewhere along the line I ended  up feeling like I 'shouldn't' ask for help. That I knew everything. I was cocky let me tell you. Then as an adult, I realized I don't know everything, but what I didn't know, I could find on Google. Then you came along...and I realized I knew Nothing...You, baby girl were born fully dependant on your father and I. In your own baby gurgling (sometimes screeching) way, you asked for help when you wanted to eat, sleep, be changed and held. You asked, we came. You showed me that it isn't a weakness to ask for help. But that asking for help is a sign of confidence. That no matter the question, someone, family or friend will be there. To  encourage you threw the tough times and celebrate with you threw the good. Its knowing that it's ok not knowing...because out there is an answer. You just have to reach out for it. You see, I depend on you, just as much as you depend on me.


Capture The Memories!-Every parent thinks that their child is 'The Cutest Kid In The World". Most have pictures to prove it. I take a lot of pictures. Ok like A LOT A LOT. Some might consider it an obsession of mine, you Daddy compares me to a tourist. We don't go anywhere without our camera. You have taught me that two, five or twenty years from now, I might not remember some of the small things. Like the date when your first tooth came in or your reaction to creamed corn and sweet potatoes. But I have them documented. I have them saved in the hundreds (ok thousands) of photos, in the baby book that I keep up to date religiously and in my heart baby girl. I will ALWAYS remember them, in my heart.


Don't Sweat The Small Stuff- Over the course of my life I will admit I tend to be a little bit of a  worry wort. Not the "I have CDO, it's like OCD but alphabetically, like it should be" kinda way. More like the "reading the labels-in before dark-OMG don't put THAT in your mouth" kinda way.You have taught me that the little mishaps and misadventures don't matter. It's the bigger picture. What's one poop-up-the-back-in-the-mall compared to "hugs every morning, and butterfly kisses at night"? Right? On a side note:  This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  I volunteer every year, and now you are a part of that too. Being involved in this just made me open my eyes a little bit more. There are always battles in life, some harder then others. So, don't sweat the small stuff!


Try, Try Again- From the moment we knew you were coming, I wanted to be a 'Dairy Manufacturer' just for you. I read all the research and was determined to give it a whirl.  Once you were here, and started down the road of production, we had some difficulties. Due to a Under Active Thyroid Problem, my jersey days were a little low on quantity. I felt like a failure, but I wanted to be able to do that for you. So, I didn't give up. I spoke to a lactation consultant, tried natural herbs, teas and pumped until I felt permanently attached to that machine. But we did it little girl, we made it a year. Until you had all those teeth, and it felt like feeding a 'rabid kitten', but WE DID IT! You kept me going, and made me want to try, try again.


Ignore the Commentary from the Peanut Gallery- People talk, they always will. They give advice, can be judgmental and sometimes, down right rude. But that's okRoosevelt


Multi-Tasking IS a Super Power!-There’s a special skill that comes with having a baby — super-multi-tasking. Sure, in my pre-baby days I could juggle multiple things at once. Now though, I've learned that in order to get things done, you have to push the limits. Eating dinner (cold), feeding you, humming softly (off-key) and keeping an eye on who wins the 'veto' competition are all part of a Mama's charm! Just keep thinking YES I CAN!


Like a Scout....Always Be Prepared!-I have an obsession with purses. Like Big Time! Purses, bags, wallets...pretty much anything you can put other stuff in, I love it.  On any given week, I could have easily changed my purse three times.  None of them though could hold the multitude of things I now carry around with me. Sure there's the usual diapers, wipes, snacks and a drinks, but being prepared can save a life. Really! Mine! When you have a poop up the back emergency in the mall, a change of clothes (and maybe a hose) can come in handy.  I've always been a 'what if' kinda girl, but now I'm a 'when it' kinda mom. I know I might not need some things, (mini sewing kit, baby Tylenol, and 5 extra dummies) but just in case.....they are there. Consider me....The Ultimate Brownie/Guide Mama!


There is probably a hundred more things you have taught me  that I could list. Everyday you are growing and learning something new. And everyday I, as a Mom, am growing and learning as well.  So, just in case I forget once or twice. Thank You my Sweet Baby Girl.  For teaching me more about life, that I could have possibly  have ever known.


I Love You S.B.G
Always & Forever
Mama




No comments:

Post a Comment