"Take love, multiply it by infinity and take it to the depths of forever...

... and you still have only a glimpse of how I feel for you."



- Meet Joe Black


Monday, January 17, 2011

The Day You Were Born

Dear Daughter

I was sitting here holding you in my arms, and I just couldn't stop staring at you.I had you all to myself for the moment. Daddy and Gramma had gone home to rest for a bit. You were making this little "bird" face. You know, the "I'm hungry and searching for the milk thing" look. After I fed you, you fell blissfully asleep. Not a care in the world except when you got fed, changed and held.

So here it is. My first note to you. Mackenzie Jade Elizabeth Pyle. Not just a thought, or feelings. But my daughter. My little girl. Lets begin with how you came to be. Not "howww" you came to be, that one's for later. This one is about when we finally got to see your pretty face.


You were born on a sunny morning in July. I'm just assuming it was sunny because I hadn't seen the light of day since the day before, but I'm told it was beautiful out. I actually went into labor the day before, the 18th of July. My contractions started around noon, though I didn't tell your Daddy or Gramma right away because I thought it should "hurt" more. Ha...trust me. It changed. And it did. Your father and I spent the day going for walks, cracking jokes with Gramma and trying to "make" you come early with labour inducing foot massages. After a yummy steak dinner with Daddy, Gramma and Uncle Chris, I started timing, silently. I tried to keep it from your Daddy for as long as I could.


I'm going to skip the bits in the middle of this story because it involved a lot of not talking from me, and a lot of "it's going good" from your Dad. I did speak up to ask everyone and their sister whocame through the hospital room door for some drugs. At the time, I REALLY wanted that epidural. Heck, I would have settled for a bop on the head at that point. But alas, I heard the dreaded words from the Dr. "Nope, no time Shannon. This baby is coming now. You'll be fine." She said this with a big toothy smile that I detested. All I could thinks was "There's time. I swear there's TIME. Please let there be time. Drugs. Please. I'll wait." But of course, she couldn't hear my inner screeching.


She was right though. Not long after, you came into the world. I know its cliche, people always say, as soon as the baby is born, all pain stops. Now, five minutes before I wouldn't have believed it. But its true. So true. All of a sudden there you were. So small. So precious. Fragile. I looked at your Daddy. We all had tears in our eyes. I thought. "We did that. We made her." There is this overwhelming surge of love, happiness and panic all at the same time. Part of that is the endorphins that my body released, but most of it was definitely looking at you. You were 7lbs and 7ounces. 20 inches long. You had a touch of jaundice but nothing to worry about.

I swear I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. Daddy slept on the pull out bed. (although we didnt' figure how to make it a bed till today, so it was a pull out chair for now) I haven't  had more then an hours sleep in over 36 hours. You would think I was running on empty but I was still kinda of giddy with all this HAPPY I had flowing around in me. You had plenty of visitors. Everyone wanted to hold you. I let them....reluctantly :)

The thing you should really remember about this day though. Besides the incredible Awesomeness that is your Mama. Is that your Daddy was absolutely amazing. He was steady like a rock. Risking permanent fractures he held my hand the whole time. He encouraged me and gave me my strength. (until I politely uttered the words....Shhhhhh) I couldn't have done this with out him and your Gramma Pyle there with me.

So, that is the story of how you were born. It all happened one sunny, Monday morning at 8:33

I love you Little Girl
Always and Forever
Mama

Written: 07/20/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment