"Take love, multiply it by infinity and take it to the depths of forever...

... and you still have only a glimpse of how I feel for you."



- Meet Joe Black


Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Just An Ordinary Day...

Dear Daughter


I have this email framed in our house. It was given to me when I was pregnant with you to remind me that I'm not 'Just' A Mom'. That I am a person. A woman. A wife.  That being a parent is hard work, but it is soo worth it. Over the past year I have also read many emails, posts and status updates stating the ups and downs of parenthood. I've also read the questions/complaints from some who are not parents and wish to know 'what we SAHM 'DO ALL DAY'.(eat bon bons and watch our soaps?)


So here goes.....


A Day in the Life of one Mackenzie-Jade Elizabeth....&Mama



  • 5:30 am Daddy stumbles, curses and trips his way up in the morning. He has a shower, and then returns to kiss Mama goodbye before he leaves. (and because Mama is such a light sleeper, she is the one who actually turns off the alarm clock and wakes Daddy)
*Side Note: Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey – but I’d bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!
  • The minute your Daddy closes the door you wake up for the day with "UH AHH UGGHH AWWWEEEIIII UH UH UH". (in various sounds and decibels) I also hear a news/sports broadcast that the monitor picks up from who knows where.
  • I  stumble, curse and trip out of bed because the lamp is on HIS side and it is still dark out. I make my way to your room and look over the edge of the crib....and there you are! My beautiful girl. Just smiling and waving your arms, ready to great the day.
  • Baby wrestling/Bum Changing/ Mr Sun Song begins, and is repeated until finished. 
  • Change you, I get dressed, START COFFEE, make bed, make breakfast, then feed you  while eating breakfast.  (Wipe crumbs off your head.)
  • Play Time! This entails tummy time, reading books, going for walks, staring at the ceiling, reading the same book again, tickle time, 'Don't touch that's, raspberries, funny faces, "Say Mama", and toys that make WAAYYY TOO MUCH NOISE......just to make you smile.
  • Daily To-Do's while your gurgling at the probably over priced, plastic toy of the moment......Unloading dishwasher, rinse dirty dishes, reload dishwasher, sweep, mop, towel, rub down, pick up clothes, start laundry, fold laundry and put away. Come running at you for a surprise attack tickle, vaccume .....WHEN DOES IT END!!!
  • First Nap = Awwwww Bliss!  This can last anywhere from ten minutes to an hour. Id like to say I use this time productively and either a)nap or 2) start dinner blah blah blah. Nope. I do nothing. Just sit. Sometimes I might read, or be a little craftier with crochet or scrapbooking or journaling. Mostly I just put my feet up and listen to....nothing. its fabbity fab fab fab
  • Your Awake! Baby wrestling/Bum Changing/Tickling commences. Repeat as necessary!
  • More Milk! More Mushed Food! More Play! 
  • Phone calls, take out something for dinner, letter writing, paying bills and Exersaucer Time! (This this is amazing, you love it so much. Baby essentials= exersaucer + swing + bouncer  More Tummy Time, practice standing/walking, peak a boo and other silly shenanigans.
  • Time to go out! We usually do one of the following....Go to Library for Babies in the Library (Tuesdays and Thursdays), Drop In at the Community Centre (Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays), Park to (depending on season) roll in grass, snow or watch other screaming kiddies. Play dates, running errands or shop browsing. (being we live in a town of around 6000 our choices are limited)
  • Nap Time # 2! Your awesome at going to sleep. I bring  you in, give you 'Moo Cow', give you yoru blankie and smother you in kisses and you just roll over and pass out.
  • This is where I make another cup of coffee and usually waste time on either Facebook, my blog or work on crochet orders.  Did I mention that I taught myself how to crochet while I was pregnant. I wanted to make you something special for when you were born. It kind of escalated into a Stay At Home Mama Side Business (Incoming plug....Visit Made With Love Handmade Gifts on Facebook to see our Homemade Goodies!!! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Made-With-Love-Handmade-Gifts/232157200172290 he he he!
  •   Awake Again!!!  Baby wrestling/Bum Changing/Tickling commences. Repeat as necessary!
  • More Milk! More Mushed Food! More Play! 
  • Start Dinner. Play music and sing (badly) and dance around (even more badly) to entertain you.
  • Daddies Home Yay! Hugs, Kisses and Cuddles for everyone!!!
  • The next hour is usually a bit of  Eating-Catching up on day-movie watching (we don't have cable) Playing with you- More hugs and kisses (for me and you)
  • Bath Time!!! This is one of your favorite things to do. You splash, kick laugh always with a smile on your face.
  • Now that you smell all babylicious, it's time to be fed, read and in bed. This is one of MY favorite times. Not because you are going to sleep and I get Daddy all to myself (though this is nice) It is because we have our whole routine down. Daddy changes you into  pjs
  • Your Daddy and I then get to spend some quality time together cuddled on the couch.
  • AND....Between ALLL of this things here I'm.......... * Giving Constant Attention * Answering your coo's and cry's *Having only two arms with one baby, diaper bag, keys, sippy cup, and blankie. Plus other various other  essentials for even the quickest trip. *Staying one step ahead in case your hungry, tired or board. Any of which will result in checkout line screaming at the library * It's being your teacher, mentor, friend, nap advisor, cook, maid, reading buddy, stroller driver, toy-picker-upper......
I'm a "I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.".....


"I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't), in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family), and a Major Credit, (you, baby girl). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money."

Anyway, there are probably a hundred little things that I forgot to mention, but I wanted to show you and others that being 'Just a Mom' is not an easy thing. We have days that are more hectic then others but we are always on duty.

The best thing about my day though....is you. I get to spend my days (and sometimes my nights) with you sweet baby girl. I get to see your first smile in the morning, and hear your laughter when you play. I get to see a long of your 'firsts' and can video tape them all for everyone to see. Parents who stay home are lucky that way. They get to spend all day with little bundles like you, that are reason for living.

I love you Baby Girl
Always & Forever 
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment